DR. SARWAT KARAM SHAH
||Title: Research Associate, Research & development Department
|| Research & development Department
|Disciplines: Epidemiology and Biostatistics
||+92 - 51-8358927
|Research Areas: Infectious disease Epidemiology and Operational Research
Dr. Shah is a young and a very energetic Epidemiologist. She has to her credit, one of the most prestigious scholarship awards, the Fulbright for her Masters in Epidemiology from one of the most accredited U.S. Universities, the University of Illinois at Chicago. She has recently been awarded a scholarship by the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases for the South Asian Regional Operational Research course and a research grant from the National Tuberculosis control programme, Pakistan to conduct the operational research on Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis. She has been involved in several national level surveys and evaluations of both the communicable and non-communicable disease programmes, in collaboration with donor agencies. She has also played important role post-disasters, in recovery, rehabilitation of the earthquake and flood victims and risks and vulnerability assessments with organizations like International Federation of Red Cross, Danish Red Cross, WHO/NDMA and UNAIDS.
- MSc Public Health- Epidemiology, University of Illinois at Chicago, U.S. 2010.
- MBBS, Bolan Medical College, University of Balochistan, Quetta, 2006.
- Communicable and non-communicable disease Epidemiology
- Vaccine preventable diseases
- Maternal & Child Health
- Surveillance systems
- Spatial clustering
Areas of Teaching & Training
- Epidemiology, Research process and design
- Statistical Analysis Software (SAS)
- Community Based Health Development
- Youth Peer Education for the prevention of HIV/AIDS.
- Research Associate, Research & Development Department, health Services Academy (October 2011 till present).
- Consultant- Third Party Evaluation of the National TB Control Programme Pakistan (September, 2010).
- Senior Officer Community Based Health Development, International Federation of Red Cross (Aug 2007).
- Member of the State Alumni (US Government’s Exchange Programme)
Honors and awards
- J. William Fulbright Scholarship Award for the Master of Science in Public Health (2008-2010)
- South Asian Regional Operational Research Training Course Feb, 2012 (Kathmandu, Nepal)
Academic and Research
- Principal investigator- Operational Research on the GeneXpert for the diagnosis and follow-up of the Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis patient, with the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases and the National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Pakistan (Jan 2012)
- Research assistant - National AIDS Control Program, Pakistan (April 2007)
- Consultant (End term evaluation of the Community Based Health Development Programme of the Danish Red Cross in district Mansehra) Danish Red Cross, Islamabad (Sep, 2011).
- Consultant (Research Associate- Third Party Evaluation of the Mother & Child Health week), Research & Development Department, Health Services Academy (Jun, 2011- Dec 2011).
- Consultant (Research Associate- Third Party Evaluation of the National TB Control Program, Pakistan), Technical Resource Facility, Pakistan (Sep 1st, 2010- May 15, 2011)
- Lead Consultant (Developing the evidence-base for reinforcing HIV prevention, treatment, care and support among the Flood-affected Populations in Pakistan, October 2010), UNAIDS (Nov 3rd, 2010- Dec 15, 2010)
- Consultant (Data Analyst) - Women Interagency HIV Study, Hektoen Institute for Medical Research, United States (July 4th, 2010- Dec 30th, 2010).
Spatial clustering of gender specific smear‐positive tuberculosis incidence (2007‐2010) in Pakistan
S K Shah,1 O F Dogar,2 A Ghafoor,3 E Qadeer1
1National Tuberculosis Control Program, Islamabad, Pakistan; 2Association for Social Development,
Islamabad, Pakistan; 3KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, Islamabad, Pakistan.
(42nd Union World Conference on Lung Health, 2011, Lille, France)
Monitoring & Evaluation Experience
- Gap Analysis Study in the LHW and MNCH program for program unit Chakwal (Current assignment)
- Detailed Assessment of the Coverage of April 2011 round of Mother Child Health week (MCWk) and Documentation of the Process, Results, Challenges and Lessons Contributed by MCWk to Guide Future Rounds of MCWk (2010).
- Third Party Evaluation of the National Tuberculosis Programme’s performance since 2001-2010 (2009).
Back to Quick Links