DR. BABAR TASNEEM SHAIKH
||Title: Associate Professor
|| B 205 (First Floor)
|Disciplines: Health Systems, Health Policy
|| +92-51-9255590-4 ext.102
|Research Areas: Health seeking behaviours, Health systems reforms, Health policy, Reproductive health
| firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
- Principles of Public health
- Research Ethics
- Comparison of International Health care systems
- Health Service Delivery in Pakistan
- Financing in Health Care System of Pakistan
- Health Policy Formulation
- Health Policy Evolution in Pakistan
- Health System Reforms
- Health Systems Research
- Social Marketing
- Social determinants of Health
- Reproductive health & Gender
Back to Quick Links
Research and Service Portfolio
He has secured grants and fellowships secured from World Health Organization, Aga Khan Foundation, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Higher Education Commission of Pakistan and David & Lucile Packard Foundation. Through this grant, his initiative of capacity building, networking and advocacy for family planning and reproductive health got wide appreciations in the concerned quarters. His niche has been the health systems research (qualitative and quantitative both) in the underprivileged communities and poor population sub groups in the most difficult areas of the country. He has worked on themes such as quality of care, access to health care especially for women and children, health systems strengthening through decentralization, and public private partnership in primary health care revitalization in the country. His flagship work on health seeking behaviours and health services utilization has become a cutting edge in the field. His research work is extensively disseminated through more than 70 peer reviewed publications in both national and international indexed journals. Besides his articles, he has training manuals, research reports, position papers and a book chapter on Health System of Pakistan on his credit.
Kumar R, Hafeez A, Shaikh BT. Job satisfaction amongst public health professionals in public sector of Pakistan. Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken: 2012.
Shaikh BT, Azmat SK, Mazhar A, Bilgrami M. Family Planning and Contraception in Islamic Countries: An annotated bibliography. Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken: 2012.
Published / In Press papers
- Shaikh BT, Rabbani F. District health system- a challenge that still remains. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2004; 10(1/2):208-214.
- Mahmood Q, Rabbani F, Shaikh BT et al. Community health-a case study. NGORC Journal 2003; p 19. http://www.ngorc.org.pk/journal/Archive/Journal-Dec2003.pdf
- Shaikh BT et al. Stress management among medical students. Journal of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan 2004; 14(5):306.
- Shaikh BT. Health systems research and management: building capacity of district health managers. Journal of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan 2004; 14(7):449.
- Shaikh BT et al. Students, stress and coping strategies: a case of Pakistani medical school. Education for Health (Abingdon) 2004; 17(3):346-353.
- Shaikh BT. Engendering our health system. Journal of Gender and Social issues 2004; 3(2):11-15.
- Shaikh BT, Hatcher J. Health seeking behavior and health services utilization in Pakistan: challenging the policy makers. Journal of Public Health (Oxford). 2005; 27(1):49-54.
- Shaikh BT, Rabbani F. Medical education: let’s change the emphases. Journal of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan 2005; 15(3): 189.
- Shaikh BT, Hatcher J, Qazi S. Complementary and alternative medicine in Pakistan: prospects and limitations. Journal of Evidence based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2005; 2(2):139-142.
- Husain S, Shaikh BT. Stalling the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Pakistan through social marketing. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2005; 55 (7): 294-298.
- Rabbani F, Shaikh BT et al. Medical education and training: responding to the community needs. Medical Science Monitor 2005; 11(10): SR21-25.
- Shaikh BT. Quality of care: an absolute necessity for patient satisfaction. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2005; 55(11): 515-516.
- Multiple authors, Shaikh BT. The need for research in primary care to solve global health problems. Position paper. The Network for Unity in Health 2005. http://www.the-networktufh.org/publications_resources/positioncontent.asp?id=12&t=Position+Papers
- Shaikh BT, Rabbani F. Health management information system: a potential tool to gauge patient satisfaction and quality of care. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2005; 11(1/2):192-198.
- Shaikh BT, Kadir MM, Hatcher J. Health care and Public health in South Asia. Public Health 2006; 120(2): 142-144.
- Shaikh BT, Deschamps JP. Life in a university residence: issues, concerns and responses. Education for Health (Abingdon) 2006; 19(1): 43-51.
- Shaikh BT. The earthquake aftermath in Pakistan: unearthing the most vulnerable. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2006; 56(3):146.
- Rabbani F, Shaikh BT, Wamala S. Living with globalization: a menace or a chance? Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2006; 56(4):195-196.
- Qureshi N, Shaikh BT. Myths, fallacies and misconceptions: applying social marketing for promoting appropriate health seeking behavior in Pakistan. Anthropology & Medicine 2006; 13(2):131-139.
- Shaikh BT, Rabbani F, Rahim M. Health workers for change: a tool for promoting behavior change among health providers. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2006; 12(3/4):331-339.
- Shaikh BT, Rahim ST. Assessing knowledge, exploring needs: a reproductive health survey of adolescents and young adults in Pakistan. European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care 2006; 11(2):132-7.
- Shaikh BT, Hatcher J, Haran D. Making healthcare systems more responsive to women in Pakistan. British Medical Journal 2006; 333:971.
- Qazi S, Shaikh BT. Social marketing of insecticide treated nets: making a case for Pakistan. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2007; 13(2): 449-456.
- Shaikh BT, Kadir MM, Pappas G. Thirty years of Alma Ata pledges: Is devolution in Pakistan an opportunity for rekindling primary health care? Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2007; 57(5): 259-261.
- Mangrio N, Shaikh BT, Alam MM. Issues and challenges in Expanded Programme on Immunization in Sindh, Pakistan. Journal of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan 2007; 17(5):308-309.
- Shaikh BT, Hatcher J. Health seeking behaviour and health services utilization trends in national health survey of Pakistan: What needs to be done? Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2007; 57(8): 411-414.
- Shaikh BT, Reza S, Afzal M, Rabbani, F. Gender sensitization among health providers and communities through transformative learning tools: experiences from Karachi, Pakistan. Education for Health 2007; 7 (online): 118.
- Shaikh BT. Reproductive health matters, rather more for adolescents! Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2007; 57(10): 521-522.
- Qureshi N, Shaikh BT. Women empowerment and health: analyzing the role of institutions of power in Pakistan. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2007; 13(6):1459-1465.
- Shaikh BT, Ali RP, Qureshi N, Azam SI. Approach, attitude and attributes of a physician: what do patients look for? Medicine Today 2007; 5(3): 74-77.
- Shaikh BT. Developing an equitable and gender sensitive health system for women of reproductive age. Medicine Today 2008; 6(1): 148-151.
- Shaikh BT, Haran D, Hatcher J, Azam SI. Studying health seeking behaviours: collecting reliable data, conducting comprehensive analysis. Journal of Biosocial Sciences 2008; 40: 53-68.
- Shaikh BT. Understanding social determinants of health seeking behaviours, providing a rational framework for health policy and systems development. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2008; 58(1): 33-36.
- Mangrio N, Alam MM, Shaikh BT. Is Expanded Programme on Immunization doing enough? Viewpoint of Health workers and Managers in Sindh, Pakistan. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2008; 58(2):64-67.
- Shaikh BT, Mobeen N, Azam SI, Rabbani F. Using SERVQUAL for assessing and improving patient satisfaction at a rural health facility in Pakistan. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2008; 14(2): 447-456.
- Abrejo FG, Shaikh BT. Social Health Insurance: can we ever make a case for Pakistan? Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2008; 58(5): 267-270.
- Shaikh BT, Haran D, Hatcher J. Where do they go, whom do they consult and why: an ethnographic study on health seeking behaviours in the Northern areas of Pakistan. Qualitative Health Research 2008; 18(6): 747-755.
- Shaikh BT. Marching toward the millennium development goals: what about health system, health seeking behaviors and health service utilization in Pakistan? World Health & Population 2008; 10(2): 44-52.
- Shaikh BT. Marching toward the millennium development goals: what about health system, health seeking behaviors and health service utilization in Pakistan? Healthcare Quarterly 2008; 11(4):104-10.
- Ahmed J, Shaikh BT. Global research collaboration for priority setting in health systems in developing countries. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2008; 59(8): 472-473.
- Ahmed J, Shaikh BT. An all time low budget for health care in Pakistan. Journal of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan 2008; 18(6): 388-391.
- Shaikh BT, Haran D, Hatcher J. Women’s social position and health seeking behaviors: Is healthcare system accessible and responsive in Pakistan? Healthcare for Women International 2008; 29 (8/9): 945-959.
- Abrejo FG, Shaikh BT, Saleem S. ICPD to MDGs: the missing links and the common grounds. BMC Reproductive Health 2008; 5:4.
- Abrejo FG, Shaikh BT, Rizvi N. ‘And they kill me, only because I am a girl’…A review of sex selective abortions in South Asia. European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care 2009; 14(1):10-16.
- Ahmed J, Shaikh BT. The many faces of supplier induced demand in health care. Iranian Journal of Public health 2009; 38 (2):139-141.
- Ejaz I, Shaikh BT. Social marketing for early neonatal care: saving newborn lives in Pakistan. World Health & Population 2010; 11(3): 18-24.
- Rabbani F, Jafri SMW, Abbas F, Shah M, Azam SI, Shaikh BT, Brommels M, Tomson G. Designing a balanced scorecard for a tertiary care hospital in Pakistan: A modified Delphi group exercise. International Journal of Health Planning and Management 2010; 25 (1): 74-90.
- Shaikh BT, Rabbani F, Safi N, Dawar Z. Contracting of primary health care services in Pakistan: is up-scaling a pragmatic thinking? Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 2010; 60(5): 387-389.
- Shaikh BT. Unmet need for family planning in Pakistan-PDHS 2006-7: It’s time to re-examine déjà vu. Open Access Journal of Contraception 2010; 1: 113-118.
- Ejaz I, Shaikh BT, Rizvi N. NGOs and government partnership for health systems strengthening: A qualitative study presenting viewpoints of government, NGOs and donors in Pakistan. BMC Health Services Research 2011; 11(1):122.
- Shaikh BT, Haran D. Treating common illnesses among children under 5 years: a portrayal of health seeking behaviors and practices in the Northern areas of Pakistan. World Health & Population. 2011; 12(4):24-34.
- Ahmed J, Shaikh BT. The state of affairs at primary health care facilities in Pakistan: where is the state’s stewardship?. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2011; 17(7): 619-623.
- Shaikh BT. Do we need to be skeptical about Millennium Development Goals? Pakistan Journal of Public Health 2011; 1(1):56-58.
- Yasir I, Shaikh BT. Use of evidence for decision making: A qualitative exploratory study on MNCH Program, Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Public Health 2011; 1(1):6-10.
- Azmat SK, Bilgrami M, Shaikh BT, Mustafa G, Hameed W. Perceptions, interpretations and implications of abortions: A qualitative enquiry among the legal community of Pakistan. European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care. 2011; 17 (2): 155-163.
- Abrejo FG, Shaikh BT. Reproductive health from ICPD to MDGs: A qualitative enquiry from Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Public health 2012; 2(1):4-9.
- Azmat SK, Shaikh BT, Hammed W, Bilgrami M, Mustafa G, Ali M, Hussain W, Ahmad A. Prevalence of IUCD discontinuation and its associated factors: Findings from a retrospective study with clients of a social franchising network in Pakistan. BMC Women’s Health 2012, 12:8.
- Azmat SK, Bilgrami M, Shaikh BT, Mustafa G, Hameed W. Delivering post-abortion care through a community based reproductive health volunteers program in Pakistan. Journal of Biosocial Science 2012; June:1-13.
- Shafiq Y, Shaikh BT, Kumar R. Availability and affordability of essential medicines: effects on health seeking behavior and health service utilization of mothers of children under 5 in Karachi. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad 2012; 23(1): 132-138.
- Kumar R, Shaikh BT, Chandio AK, Ahmed J. Role of Health Management Information System in disease reporting at a rural district of Sindh. Pakistan Journal of Public Health 2012; 2(2): 10-12.
- Shaikh BT. Strengthening health system with key strategies in the post devolution times in Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Public Health 2012; 2(2): 43-46.
- Naseer M, Zahidie A, Shaikh BT. Determinants of patient's satisfaction with health care system in Pakistan: A critical review. Pakistan Journal of Public Health 2012; 2(2): 56-61.
- Baig MA, Shaikh BT. Disease Surveillance System: a must conduit for effective control of infectious diseases in Pakistan. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health 2012.
- Mazhar A, Shaikh BT. Reforms in Pakistan: Decisive times for improving maternal and child health. Healthcare Policy 2012.
- Shaikh BT, Ejaz I, Khan D, Shafiq Y. Political and economic unfairness in health system of Pakistan: A hope with the recent reforms. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad 2012.
- Mateen A, Shaikh BT. How accessible are the emergency obstetrics care services? A cross sectional study in district Neelum, Azad Jammu and Kashmir. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad 2012.
- Sami N, Shaikh BT. Leadership in Family Planning & Reproductive health: a university based capacity building and networking initiative in Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Public Health 2012; 2(3).
- Shaikh BT, Alizai AA. Confronting the challenge of improving routine immunization in Pakistan: the need and importance of health systems research. Pakistan Journal of Public Health 2012; 2(3).
Honours And Awards
Scholarship of Société Française d'Exportation des Ressources Educatives-Government of France for MPH in France. 1998-99.
Fellowship from Hesketh-Leverhulme Memorial Fund for PhD at Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine UK. 2004-2008.
Aga Khan University Dean’s Scholarship for PhD studies. 2004-2008.
Back to Quick Links